Unsure about something? Please see the the answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I make a complaint or a comment?

The Chief Justice has disciplinary oversight over:

  1. Judges
  2. Magistrates
  3. Lawyers (admitted attorneys at law)
  4. Tribunal members

The Registrar has licencing powers over “Legal practitioners” which includes:

  1. Notaries
  2. Lawyers
  3. Attorneys at law
  4. Legal advisers practicing law in Seychelles

If your complaint/comment relates to a legal practitioner please consult the Legal Practitioners section of the website.

Please note that Chief Justice CANNOT consider complaints/comments/requests relating to the following:

  1. Complaints against validly made decisions by a judge, magistrate or member of a tribunal. Please consult a legal practitioner to assist you in this regard.
  2. Requests for the recusal of a judge or magistrate. This must be applied for through the proper means (there is a process in the Supreme Court as set out by the Court of Appeal), in the tribunals and magistrates – this should be an application by the legal representative for the person, if they are unrepresented, they should first write to the tribunal or magistrate and send a copy to the other side, asking them to recuse themselves and laying out the reasons, if the decision maker refuses to recuse themselves, the correspondence should be sent to the Chief Justice for further action.
  3. Where there is an ongoing court case or appeal pending, and where a complainant has a lawyer, unless they are bringing a professional conduct complaint against that lawyer.
  4. Requests for legal assistance or advice regarding a legal problem. Please consult a legal practitioner.
I have been summoned to appear in court, what do I do now?

If you have been summoned to appear in court you are legally required to appear in court on the date and time specified in the summons, failing which you may be held for contempt. You are entitled to consult a legal practitioner.

How do I get a copy of proceedings or judgments?

All proceedings and judgments are available for inspection and copies of proceedings and judgments can be requested at a fee. Please contact the Registrar/Secretary of the Court in which your judgment was handed down. Alternatively, certain judgments are available in the Seychelles Law Reports, on SeyLii  and from the Judiciary Library. You do not need a lawyer to request this information.

How do I pay a fine?

All fines can be paid at the cashier’s office in the Palais de Justice foyer. Please ensure that you receive a receipt. In the future the Judiciary hopes to offer an online payment facility. Presently the Judiciary only accepts cash and cheque payments.

How do I apply for legal aid?

Please consult the legal aid  section of the website.

My case has been dismissed?

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your case you are entitled to lodge an appeal. This must be done within specified time frames. Please consult a legal practitioner to assist with this process. If you are unable to afford the services of a legal practitioner you are entitled to apply for legal aid.

Can I come and see the judge who is handling my case?

No. Any queries must be directed in writing through your legal representative. A judicial officer will not discuss a matter with the litigants. Please also note that attempting to influence, intimidate, coerce, harass a judicial officer is a serious offence.

What should I wear and do in court?

All court proceedings are open to the public, unless closed under an order of a court. However, disruption of proceedings is not permitted and anyone found to be disrupting proceedings will be removed from court. Please wear appropriate clothing when in court.